Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Missions and La Playa

Missions • Long overdue on my to-do list was stepping into California's founding history via its remarkable Missions. Walking through their well-landscaped inner courtyards, their frescoed inner sanctums and churches, their impressive museums filled with noteworthy paintings, sculptures, and both Spanish and Native American artifacts; I marveled at this important period in the state's history. The small towns where they are located still vibrate with a calming gentle pace of days gone by - some catering to the tourist throngs, some moving more slowly as though on hold from today's brisk pace.

Ojai • Ventura • Carpinteria • Los Olivos • Pismo Beach • San Luis Obispo • Santa Barbara
- Let me take you on a detour -


• Mission Santa Barbara •


 • Mission Santa Ines • 


 • Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa •


 • Mission San Buenaventura •



Playas • I am not much a beach person. I do not usually linger there. I was smitten this time. Shorelines went on forever. The soft hues of the light made geometric patterns in soft shades of pale creams and faded grays and soft taupes; each pattern caressed by the slow moving ripples of the surf. The morning fog had wrapped the sky as the palm trees stood proud against it. 

Pismo Beach •

• Carpinteria State Beach •


Central Valley Twilight
    Heading back north, the evening sky twirled and twirled away - it was out of this world.

I have been plotting in my mind the next time I go south - most likely a return along the Pacific Highway via Carmel, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Morro Bay, Big Sur, Cambria... 

For now, I stayed a bit closer to home - stay tuned for my latest weekend up the coast to Dry Creek Valley and Alexander Valley - in our turbulent world, these getaways are simply so good for the soul.
Enjoy as always ~ Adeline





No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts you might enjoy sharing…